Summer, Sand, and Steam...
When in October of 1922 the Wayne Coal Co. of Clay Bank, Ohio received an 0-4-0 saddle tank steam locomotive from Vulcan Iron Works for use in their coal mines, little did the company officials realize that their engine would 40 years later head end hot shot passenger trains at Sandusky, Ohio. The little engine received the number 22.
Wayne coal needed the little engine for their strip mining operations in Harrison, Jefferson, and other counties. Over 10,000 acres containing about 30,000,000 tons of coal were being mined. Not only did the little trains haul coal but they also brought limestone and clay to the plant for sale as byproducts. Only four years later and the company was in receivership. By March 1926 operations were ceased.
According to old records, the engine was then sold to Stone and Webster, Inc. probably for use on one of their large construction projects. Afterwards Birmingham Rail and Locomotive Co. purchased No. 22, rebuilt her and in turn sold her to the Shook and Fletcher Supply Co. of Champion, Alabama on September 22, 1927. At Champion No. 22 joined nearly 50 similar engines in transporting iron ore from the open mines in open top cars.
Left - Mr. Jack Clement, 22's engineer, stands in the cab (man with shovel) .
Right - A sister locomotive and her crew take a break at Shook and Fletcher's Champion operation.
When the ore was practically exhausted, No. 22 went to Birmingham rail and Locomotive Works and was again overhauled and on March 19, 1941, she was sold to Standard Coated Products Corp. Hephzibah, Georgia. At Hephzibah, Albion Kaolin Co. a subsidiary of Standard products operated a clay mine. For four years, No. 22 operated along with four other Vulcan’s pulling trains of clay to the processing plant.
In 1945 No. 22 was sold for the seventh time, this time to Merry Bros. Brick Co. in Augusta, Georgia. Merry Bros. assigned 22 to trains consisting of four yard side dump clay cars. Clay was loaded into the cars in the mine and then towed the 1 ½ miles to the crushing plant and storage sheds.
By 1951 diesel electric locomotives began arriving at the brickyard, forcing the withdraw of 22 from service. Until the early sixties 22 sat rusting in Augusta.
Click for Larger View
Then in 1960 a retired constriction contractor, Mr. Charles A. Weber bought 22 for his own pleasure. He transported the saddle tanker to his home in Archbold, Ohio by lowboy trailer. In order to unload the engine from the van, he built a 200 foot section of track with the one end jacked up to allow the engine to be pulled from the trailer.
On Saturday May 21, 1960 No. 22 arrived from Georgia. Many of the residents of the small Ohio town turned out to witness one of the most interesting events they had seen in a long time. Mr. Weber directed operations as the little locomotive was backed off the truck, down the jacked up rail and into her berth in the family garden.
Immediately Mr. Weber began restoring her. He added and air brake system, a headlamp, and painted her. He had the boiler inspected and approved by the state.
On special occasions during the next three summers, Mr. Weber would fire up his engine, blow the whistle, and spin her wheels (he placed the locomotive on blocks), to the delight of the neighborhood children and the fascination of the parents.
In 1962 Mr. Weber decided to "get out of the train business." He offered 22 for sale. At the same time Mr. Roose was looking for motive power for the planned CP&LE Railroad. When he learned of the handsome little saddle tanker, he made Mr. Weber an offer which was accepted. On August 25, 1962 No. 22 was loaded aboard another trailer and trucked to Port Clinton, Ohio.
When 22 arrived at Sam Conte’s shops in Port Clinton, work began immediately to ready her for the CP&LE’s initial season. Completely stripping the engine, Sam removed the saddle tank, steel cab, stack, and boiler jacket. Within a few months 22 was decked out with a Baldwin style mahogany cab and stainless steel trim. Sam also fashioned an old style balloon stack which could be fitted over 22’s original stack. This stack was used between 1964 and 1966. By mid-August 1963, 22 was at the point undergoing trial runs which she passed with flying colors and thereupon entered regular service.
Among the changes 22 had undergone in Sam’s shops was her conversion from a coal burner to an oil-burner. The oil tank was installed in 22’s new tender, which was borrowed from Mr. Roose’s 1910 Lima Prairie. This locomotive was used by the Williamson and Brown Log and Timber Co. and by the Argent Lumber Co. at Hardeeville, South Carolina. After it’s years of useful service had ended, it was sold to the Stone Machine Co. of Daisy Tennessee and finally to Mr. Roose.
No. 22 remained a oil burner until 1967 when she was reconverted to a coal burner. Along with her sisters on the CP&LE, she received pony wheels in the fall of 68’.
On her first steamup day, 22 waits on Maud before departing on her first trip on the CP&LE.
< Back to SSS Chapter Menu